Friday, November 6, 2009

subject

For today's post, I subject you to the word "subject." Depending on how you pronounce it, this nifty little word can be one of three parts of speech.

If I pronounce it SUB-ject, it can be a noun or an adjective. As a noun, you can take a subject in school, be the subject of a sentence, or be the subject of the king.

If it's used as an adjective, it precedes the word "to." You can be subject to a bloody nose, subject to long, boring lectures, or subject to torture, which I guess is the same as the lecture thing.

If I were to pronounce it sub-JECT, however, I have now made a verb. I can subject you to a bloody nose, subject you to a long lecture, or subject you to torture. . .but why would I do that? I'm a nice person.

Okay, I won't subject you to any more on this subject since I have to find a new subject to subject you to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment