Tuesday, November 10, 2009

empathy/sympathy

Like many other pairs discussed previously, these are used interchangeably, but they shouldn't be.

If you hear about someone getting injured in an accident are you empathetic? Not so much, especially if you don't want to find yourself in the same tragedy. . .and I don't think you do.

You're empathetic if you see yourself in the same situation as another. You're putting yourself in his or her place.

You're sympathetic if you feel sorry for another. Unless you can understand the plight of the accident victim because you were there at one time, you're sympathetic.

If you feel empathy for me because I'm a teacher, you better have been in a classroom at some point. Instead, you feel sorry for me. Man, you had better feel sorry for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment