Friday, November 20, 2009

stationary/stationery

When you go to the gym, do you ride the stationary bike or the stationery bike? By the way, it's good that you're getting some exercise.

You're actually riding the stationary bike. This version of the word means "fixed, in one place, or not moving." When you're sitting at your desk working, you're stationary.

Stationery
, with an "e," refers to paper, envelopes, etc. Do you know how I remember this one? The word "envelope" begins with an "e," so that's the version to use when referring to paper goods. Pretty nifty, huh?

As you can see, if you're riding a stationery bike, you're riding one made out of paper. I'm no expert, but I don't think you can get a good workout on a bike like that. It seems as though it would be kind of flimsy.

As I said, though, it's good that you're exercising. Keep it up. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment