Wednesday, November 11, 2009

hyper-/hypo-

Have you ever seen a hyperactive kid at the grocery store? I sure have. In fact, I've seen more than my share right in my own classroom. It makes you wonder, doesn't it? How do they get like that? Well, that's not the topic for today. Come to think of it, that won't be the topic for any day.

Today we look at the prefixes "hyper-" and "hypo-." I used the example of the hyperactive kid because we all know it means he or she has too much energy; consequently, "hyper-" refers to "too much" or "more than normal."

"Hypo-," on the other hand, means "too little" or "not enough." If you are hypoglycemic, your blood sugar level is too low. A hypodermic needle goes under the skin -- maybe to inject something that is hypoallergenic. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

Hey, that gives me an idea. Maybe we can put something into the hypodermic needle and give it to the hyperactive kid. That might work. At least it's worth a try.

On a serious note, thank you to all our veterans. We truly appreciate everything you've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment