Thursday, November 19, 2009

learn/teach

I know this distinction may seem overly obvious, but you'd be surprised at the number of students who have confused this pair. Amazing, I know.

To learn is the act of receiving knowledge. You can learn to ride a bike, learn how to bake a cake, learn how to tie your shoes, and learn the difference between these two words.

To teach is the act of giving knowledge. I can teach you all these grammar rules, teach you how to sew (but I don't know how), teach you how to fall out of a tree, and teach you nuclear fusion.

By the way, the past tense of learn is learned. It's not learnt, and the past tense of teach most certainly is not teached. It's, of course, taught. Go ahead and laugh. I've seen it firsthand.

Now, aren't you glad I learned you well today? I know it's incorrect. Just checking.

No comments:

Post a Comment