Saturday, November 14, 2009

e.g./i.e.

Okay, so you want to sound like a boorish snob in your use of the language. That's fine. Just be sure you use these correctly.

If you like e.g., be sure to use it in place of for example. There are many places I'd like to visit, e.g., London, Paris, Vienna, and Pahrump, Nevada. Nothing against Pahrump. I'm sure it's a wonderful town. I just like the way it sounds.

If i.e. seems to be calling your name, use it to replace the phrase that is. He has one unusual physical characteristic, i.e., his left foot is three times larger than his right. That's the reason for the clown shoe.

You'll notice that when using these in written form, there is a comma both before and after. You already noticed that? Fantastic.

Time to go. I have things to do, e.g., watch some college football, do some yard work, and pet my dog. I'm trying to postpone the inevitable, i.e., grading papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment