Sunday, November 15, 2009

avert/divert/revert

I'm just sitting here thinking how quickly this year is going. I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving. That means Christmas is just around the corner. Usually, I have my shopping done by now, but since I have to play grammar educator, I haven't had time. Thanks, everyone.

Now for today's lesson -- three words that sound similar but certainly aren't. To avert is to avoid something. The strike was averted when both sides agreed at the last minute.

To divert something or someone is to cause a temporary distraction. My attention was diverted by the blue, one-legged jaguar I saw out my kitchen window. He certainly didn't move very quickly. I'm not sure why he was blue. Anyway. . .

If you revert to something, you essentially go back to an earlier time. An adult who likes to play with toys is reverting to his or her childhood.

By the way, please do not use the phrase revert back. I hear that all the time. When you revert, you are going back. You people and your redundancies. . . I've addressed this before, and I'm sure I'll have to address it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment