Tuesday, November 3, 2009

produce

Here's another word that falls into the same category as "refuse" from yesterday.

If you go to the supermarket, you will find all kinds of fruits and vegetables in the PRO-duce aisle. Speaking of supermarkets, is it just me, or do you find that they seem to be twice as cold as they used to be? Why is that? I can understand frozen foods having to be frozen and dairy and produce need some level of coldness, but does it have to be the entire store? I smell a conspiracy.

Back to the matter at hand. To pro-DUCE something means "to make it." So I guess it goes without saying that farmers produce the produce. . .or does Mother Nature actually produce it and the farmer is just her vehicle?

By the way, if it goes without saying, why did I just feel compelled to write it?

No comments:

Post a Comment