Wednesday, November 4, 2009

desert

Same principle here as the previous two posts. Change the stress on one of the syllables, and you change the entire meaning of the word.

If you de-SERT something, you abandon it. Hopefully, when you were a child you didn't come home to find the house deserted. . .or did you? That would explain a lot.

If you live in the Southwest as I do, you know all about the DES-ert, that arid bit of territory that seems to get hotter every year.

Speaking of which, do you know that we broke a record here yesterday of 96 degrees? That's right. . .96!! It's November for crying out loud.

Sorry. I didn't mean to upset those of you in the East and Midwest suffering sub-zero temperatures and endless snow. I guess 96 doesn't sound so bad after all. I think I'll stay right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment