Friday, October 2, 2009

statute/statue of limitations

If you look for a common thread among some of my past posts, you'll see that many of the usage errors occur because of incorrect pronunciation (see "row/road to hoe," for example). Here's a perfect example.

In a legal sense, the phrase refers to the amount of time from which a crime is committed to the time in which it can be prosecuted.

Of course, if everyone spoke correctly, we wouldn't have the errors we have; hence, I would have nothing about which to write. I guess I owe you one for that. Thanks.

By the way, it's "statute of limitations." Who ever heard of a "statue of limitations"? It's ridiculous to think an aspect of our legal system could be based on a sculpture. Amazing.

Just keep on speaking incorrectly and keep on giving me writing fodder. I need something for amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment