Thursday, October 1, 2009

remotely close

I believe this is the first oxymoron I've addressed in this blog. Generally, an oxymoron is an intentional literary device used for the sake of humor or effect. This one, however, is one people use thinking it's perfectly acceptable. Well, I'm here to tell you it isn't. Surprised?

You've probably heard something along the lines of, "I'm not even remotely close to being finished." You never will be. It's not physically possible.

You can't be "remotely close" to anything. Why not? These two words are opposites, that's why not.

A remote location is one that is isolated. . .a cabin in the woods, for example. If it's remote, how can it be close to anything?

I'm sure I'll stumble upon some other oxymorons you're using, and then I can set you straight. Come on. You didn't even know this one was incorrect. That's why I'm here. Lucky you.

No comments:

Post a Comment