Friday, October 23, 2009

exercise/exorcise

"He has to exercise his demons." Well, that's not necessarily true unless he wants them to be physically fit. If that's the case, then I guess it stands to reason you want them to be in the best shape possible.

Obviously, to "exercise" is "to work out" or "to carry out." For example, you can exercise by jogging or exercise by lifting weights. Here, you're "working out" your body. You can also exercise an option. In this instance, you're "carrying it out."

If you want to get rid of something, you're "exorcising" it. Priests "exorcise" spirits, and people can "exorcise" habits and, I suppose, even "exorcise" aspects of their pasts.

I guess it's time to exercise my option to go get some exercise. Thankfully, I don't have anything to exorcise. I don't think so, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment