Tuesday, October 27, 2009

differ from/differ with

Obviously, dogs and cats are different. Duh! Do you really need me to tell you that?

Here's the issue. Do they differ from or differ with each other? Good question.

When you're trying to point out the different characteristics of things, use differ from. For example, dogs differ from cats because they bark. You can show how one painting differs from another, how one book differs from another, or how one car differs from another.

Speaking of paintings, I've never really understood art. You can listen to two people commenting on the psychological statement of a work of art or some similar drivel. Give me a break. They have no idea what they're talking about. They're making it up. I digress.

When two people have a disagreement, they differ with each other. People often differ with each other in areas such as religion and politics, among others.

Many of you may have differed with me on some of the points I've made in past posts, but you know I'm always correct. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment