Thursday, October 15, 2009

prima donna/pre-Madonna

"Prima donna" comes from the world of opera (not a big fan), and it means "leading lady." The phrase has taken on somewhat of a negative connotation and is now generally associated with someone having a high sense of self-importance.

An athlete who enjoys being the center of attention, for example, often is referred to as a "prima donna."

The problem here is that, as is the case with many errors, it's written the way it sounds; therefore, you may occasionally see it as "pre-Madonna."

Unless you're referring to the period of time preceding the pop singer or something having to do with the Virgin Mary, it's always "prima donna."

As I said, I'm not a big opera buff. I've tried. I just don't get it. It's difficult to get into something when you don't understand the language. I'll stick with English. I know that really well, and if you've been reading some of these posts, you already know that, but don't call me a prima donna. I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment