Friday, October 9, 2009

B.C./A.D.

As you can tell, I discuss grammar and usage errors that cover a wide range of topics. This is a perfect example.

I would wager that the vast majority (yourself included) assumes A.D. means "after death." Am I correct? Of course. You know that. Well, I'm here to tell you it doesn't mean what you think. I love doing that. It actually stands for "anno domini" or "in the year of the Lord." Again, not to focus on religion here, but this would be the year Jesus was born.

Think about it. If the calendar began after His death, how would we account for the years He was alive? We would go from the year 1 B.C. to the first year after Jesus died. What about the years in between?

I bet you never even thought about that, did you? That's why I'm here. It's my life's work. Okay, maybe not an entire life's work, but it's pretty darn important.

By the way, B.C. does mean "before Christ." Give yourself a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment