Sunday, October 25, 2009

loath/loathe

Both words in this pair are synonymous with "dislike." The difference here is simply knowing which part of speech you wish to use.

"Loath" is an adjective and, when used as such, should be accompanied by "to." For example, you can be loath to eating your grandmother's meat loaf, you can be loath to watching home movies, or you can be loath to taking banjo lessons.

"Loathe," however, is the verb form. You loathe taking a bath, you loathe watching your little brother eat, and you loathe your neighbor's cat that keeps coming into your yard and sending your dog into a tizzy. I don't really dislike the cat. I just wish it would stay in its own yard.

By the way, your grandmother's meat loaf isn't that bad. I think I've had it.

Well, I am loath to saying farewell for the day, but I must do what I must do. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment